Monday, November 21, 2011

Recent training

I think I've attended more training this last week than at any time since Wood Badge. Last Thursday I attended a Young Men adult leader training with President David Beck, Young Men general president for the LDS church, Elder Gary Doxey (area Seventy), and Brother Egan from the Young Men general board.

On Saturday, I attended a Little Philmont training meeting with Elder Ochoa, second counselor in the Young Men general presidency, Gary Dollar, who was influential in starting the Varsity program, David Pack (LDS-BSA relationships committee), and a Brother Allen from the Church department of Risk Management.

On Sunday morning I attended a youth fireside with Elder Ochoa.

That comes to about 5 1/2 hours of training in young men and Scouting. I learned quite a bit and took lots of notes. In some way, I'd like to share a bit of what I learned but I can't do it all at once.

I think, then, I'll share snippets from the different meetings in several different posts.

First is this, from President David Beck:
The most important qualification as a Young Mens leader is his relationship to God.
President Beck spoke a lot about relationships. He said that when surveyed, missionaries site their relationships as the most important influences that got them on a mission. First, their relationship to God. Following that, their relationships to family, leaders, and friends.

How many of those relationships are built or strengthened through Scouting? All of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment