Thursday, April 19, 2012

Remembering

Today (April 19) is Holocaust Remembrance Day. The remembrance day marks the day of the liberation of the Auschwitz-Birkenau death camps.

Last night my wife and I caught a program on television, telling the stories of seven survivors of the holocaust. One of the men (Stephen Nasser) told about how his experience as a Scout helped him survive. It is absolutely amazing.
"In the Scouts I have learned something, which was our slogan--Be Prepared. And, apparently I was and I'm still a good Scout. I'm prepared for anything. Nothing throws me off. To me nothing is a problem, everything is a challenge. And that was a challenge from day to day to survive and try to help your brother survive.
He also tells a story of finding a dead mouse in his soup. The other prisoners were excited to think that he might throw it away (so they could have it, as it was the only meat there was):
"I said no way. I have that much what I learned from Scouts. It has a lot of protein and I have to survive. I hate to think of it. I ate the mouse."
You can watch the entire hour-long show on-line at http://www.benlesser.com/media.php

No comments:

Post a Comment