Monday, July 18, 2011

Uniforms

Uniforms are an interesting thing in the Venturing program. Unlike in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, the uniform for Venturers is optional. It's a crew option, not an individual one, but optional nevertheless.

Not only is the uniform optional, but the crew can decide on their own uniform. Or, they may decide to not have a uniform. The BSA provides a "recommended" uniform in green with charcoal grey pants. It really is a sharp looking uniform, and most people who have seen it really seem to like it. I know I like mine. However, the crew can decide to have a different uniform if they wish.

It could be a simple tee-shirt, or polo shirt. It could be a white shirt and tie. It could be hot pink lederhosen or a loin cloth, if that's what the crew decides. I hope I never see a crew in either of those, but the point is that the crew decides. And when they are in their uniform (recommended BSA version, or tee-shirt) they can use the Venturing salute. It would seem a bit odd to me to see a group in tee-shirts using the official salute, but that's the way it is. 

This brings me to a gripe I have. It's with the so-called "class-A" and "class-B" uniform designation used by so many Boy Scout troops. I know everyone does this, but in reality there is no such thing. For Boy Scouts, there is one official uniform. Period. Anything else is not an official uniform. There is no such thing as a "class-A" or "class-B." There is a uniform and everything else. It would be more appropriate to call it an activity shirt.

That said, I suppose a Venturing crew could designate an official "class-A" and "class-B" uniform, although I don't know why anyone would want to. Just choose a uniform and use it. If you're doing an activity that doesn't require a uniform, or if something else would be more appropriate (service projects), then wear an activity shirt. No reason to use this "class-A" and "class-B" nonsense.

Another thing I should mention, and I want to really emphasize this. Venturers should never wear a Boy Scout uniform. I know, I've got some who do. But they shouldn't. Boy Scout uniforms are for Boy Scouts. It would be like having your Boy Scouts wear a Cub Scout uniform. It shouldn't happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment