Thursday, February 23, 2012

Venturing Date Night, take 2

Last Friday we had our second Venturing date night. (For my discussion of our first one, see here.)

After our last date night, we had a discussion about the purposes of dating and I challenged them to do a second date and incorporate what they learned.

For the second date night, we had dinner and played some games. (The first was dinner and a movie). The bishop volunteered to make dinner for us, so it didn't leave much for the youth to plan. I'm still not sure how I feel about that. On the one hand, I would have preferred the youth take more of a leadership role. On the other hand, I'm always wishing our Bishop would be more involved in the quorum.

Anyway, after dinner we sat around and played games. We all had a great time. Around 9:00, we all left the Bishop's house around and went home, although I suspect the youth continued their individual dates for a little longer.

On Sunday, we had a bit of a reflection on the date and I asked them to compare the two dates. They unanimously thought the second date was more fun and that it did a better job of helping them get to know their dates as well as characteristics they would like to look for in a future spouse. We talked about what they learned both about their dates and about dating in general. Overall, I think it was a pretty good experience for them.

I'm not sure I would recommend doing a date night regularly as a Venturing activity, but every once in a while I think it can be a worthwhile activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment