Monday, August 20, 2012

Just a little lost...

I was officially released from the young men on Sunday, when we sustained the new YM president in our ward. I know he will be great for our youth and will do a fantastic job with them. I'm confident he will continue the work I started with the Venturing program in our ward and I expect he will do several things much better than I did.

The problem is that now I don't know what to do with myself. I've been living and breathing Venturing for the last four years and it is really hard to let go and turn things over to someone else.

I'm still on the Venturing round table staff for our district, but I wonder if I should let that go too. Since I'm now the chartered organization rep, I kind of think I ought to attend round tables for each of the programs, perhaps rotating through them. I think I need to learn more about the other programs.

I've wondered about replacing my Venturing green uniform with the Boy Scout khaki. I know I could wear the COR patch on my green shirt, but it doesn't match and I think it would look funny. Of course, there's a chance I won't be in that position for too long. The 1st counselor in our Bishopric is threatening to move once his boys leave on their missions in November. If past patterns are any indication I'd move to that spot when he leaves removing me from Scouts all together, so it might not be worth buying a new uniform.

I'll probably finally break down and register as a merit badge counselor, but after four years preaching that merit badges are not part of Venturing, I haven't been able to do it yet.

I'm staffing Wood Badge this weekend--that will be nice. But I'm less excited about it this year. There are a few reasons for that, but mostly it's all the changes I'm going through (I think).

I guess I just need to start over. From the top. I need to read the literature relevant to my position and get myself trained as best I can.

It's just hard to change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment