Monday, April 15, 2013

Advancement chair

One of my responsibilities as the Chartered Organization Representative is to see that a committee is organized and functioning. I'm trying to get parents involved, but I've really struggled with who to get for the advancement chair. I have wanted to avoid having a parent do this, just to avoid any potential problems, but I just haven't been able to figure out who it should be.

The other day I had a different thought that I think solves the problem of who to get. In the LDS church, scouting is a part of the young men's organization. Members of the young mens presidency act as scout leaders in Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, and Venturing. But there is also a secretary that isn't necessarily involved in scouting. Why not have the Young Mens secretary also act as the advancement chair? He is already working with the scout leaders in the presidency and involved in keeping records and training quorum secretaries. It makes sense to me to make him the advancement chair.

Now we just need to figure out who it should be (we've been without one for over a year).

1 comment:

  1. Advancement chair, and also maintain the Troop/Team/Crew rosters, not to mention keep on top of the paperwork, etc. Who better to maintain current registrations for each boy as he ages into a different program, etc?

    ReplyDelete