Monday, October 22, 2012

Weekend Eagle Project

On Saturday I had the privilege of helping one of the young men in my ward work on his Eagle Project.

We met at the cemetery and cleaned up headstones. This particular cemetery used to have a policy that all headstones had to lay flat so that it would be easier to mow the grass. (Terrible idea, if you ask me.) As a result, many of these headstones had sod growing over them. Some had two inches of sod (not just grass--sod) covering names and dates on the stone. 

This young man told me that he got the idea for this project as he visited his father's grave in that cemetery. He noticed how it made a difference to him when his father's grave marker was neat and clean. He told me he wanted to clean up some of the other markers so that other visitors would be more able to feel the Spirit as they came to honor their relatives.

It was a long, hard day. I came home tired and sore. I'm still sore. My knees, which have been giving me problems all summer, are revolting. And we didn't get everything finished he wanted to. I believe he's going to set up another day to continue work. If at all possible I'll be there then, too.

I don't know how many times he thanked me for coming to help. As I told him, "I wouldn't miss it."

1 comment: